Friday, August 6, 2010

Southwestern Shepherd's Pie

I like shepherd's pie once in awhile.  Hubby isn't a great big fan of it.  I had been wanting some for awhile now and had been toying with the idea of making it with taco seasoning in the meat.  I mentioned this to my son, who has gotten pretty good and concocting dishes like his mother and he said "you know, it might be good with fajita seasoning."

First I peeled and boiled about 3 lbs of potatoes and made mashed tatters.  I used some sour cream when I whipped them up. (I also add a chunk of onion to the potatoes when I boil them, adds a nice subtle flavor)

1 1/2 lbs of ground london broil (it was on sale a couple weeks ago bogo and I had some ground..super lean ground beef for 2.49 a lb.   heck yes).
2 Medium Sweet Onions
1 Lg. green pepper and or red pepper (I generally use both)

I browned the ground beef and then added chopped onions and peppers.  The meat was so lean I didn't even have to drain it.

I put the fajita seasoning pack (we prefer Old El paso brand) into 1/2 c. of water and stirred then poured over the meat and let it simmer for awhile.  (I also added 3 tbs of taco sauce... )

Grease a 13x9 pan.  Put meat in bottom.  Top meat with your fav cheese.  (I use Monterrey jack ) then I added two cans of whole corn drained.
Add another layer of cheese (my layers of cheese weren't all that thick)
Then layer on your potatoes.
You can spray the top with your fav. butter spray or just top with some dabs of butter.

I baked for about 10 min and then turned the broiler on for about 5.

This was a HUGE hit even with hubby.  There is none left.  The kids had some when they got home from work and the rest was eaten for lunch today.

This will definitely be added to our menu plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Comment HERE

Almost 20/20-

To think that in less than three weeks the year 2020 will be here is surreal. To think that I am about to be grandma to 18 in February is ...