Sunday, August 1, 2010

Pancakes Like IHOP

 

I have tried many different recipes from online that claim to be like IHOP having several misses and finally with a bit of tweaking a hit!

DSC04395

The recipe calls for buttermilk.  This is IMPORTANT.  Since I do not regularly keep buttermilk on hand (I probably should I make pancakes now a couple times a week) I do know the old trick for when you are out.

Before you begin your recipe if you have no buttermilk put 1 1/4 c. of WHOLE milk into a cup.  Add 2 tsp. of white vinegar to the milk and let set for at least 10 minutes.  Don’t worry you will not taste the vinegar at all in the pancakes.

One batch makes enough for about four people.  Unless you have teenage sons.  If you have teenagers I suggest you double it. I have also made large batches of these during the school year and froze. To freeze them you want to freeze in a single layer first for about and hour then it’s safe to throw them all in a freezer bag.  My kids will pull them out in the morning and pop in the micro or toaster or I’ll use them as the bread to make my super fast Less than Three Minute breakfast Sandwich.

 

1 1/4 c. all purpose flour – sifted 1 egg
1/4 c. sugar 1 1/4 c. buttermilk
1/8 tsp. salt (aka a pinch) 1/4 c. cooking oil
1 heaping tsp baking powder  
1 tsp baking soda      

Put all dry ingredients together and whisk.  Add wet ingredients and whisk until semi-smooth.  This batter should be thinner than you are normally used to for pancake batter.  I find I may have to add a couple more splashes of milk to get it the right consistency. Cook on a hot griddle and enjoy!

My hubby and kids eat their pancakes covered w/peanut butter and maple syrup, how do you enjoy pancakes in your neck of the woods?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Comment HERE

Almost 20/20-

To think that in less than three weeks the year 2020 will be here is surreal. To think that I am about to be grandma to 18 in February is ...