Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Got a couple minutes?? Make a breakfast sandwich – from scratch (under 3 min to make)


---- over the next couple of weeks I am going to repost some previous blogs that were on my Lifedomestic site which I have shut down.  I will repost many of my more popular posts so my readers will still have access to them.  Enjoy.  And please remember to comment @ the bottom of the post. 

My husband is not a breakfast eater when he first gets out of bed.  Getting him out of bed sometimes requires a crow bar or cattle prod.  He will lay in bed until the very last second possible, jump up, throw on some clothes, grab his lunch pail and out the door he goes. 
We’ve all heard how important breakfast is.  My husband is diabetic and he works outside in a highly labor intensive job so having breakfast is doubly important for him.  I am not a morning person myself but I would get up and make a big breakfast when we first found out he was diabetic only to have him bite two things and run out the door leaving the rest on the plate.  I had to get inventive. So I did. Over the last couple years I find myself getting more and more inventive.
First pop in the toaster, if need be, what you are going to use for the outside of your sandwich.  I have used toast, leftover pancakes, waffles, biscuits (I don’t toast these), bagels, croissants, French toast that is leftover from a previous meal.  Pancakes and French toast can easily be toasted to warm them through or you can microwave them.  The choice is yours. 
DSC09249 DSC09227


I use a Corelle cereal bowl.  It’s my preference for the size but I’m sure any glass microwavable bowl will do. (just remember your egg will be as big as the bow you put it in)  Spray the bowl with non-stick cooking spray or lightly butter/margarine the inside of the bowl (I use a cold stick of butter and just give it a few whirls around the bowl)  If you skip the spray/oil step you WILL regret it later.
Put an egg in and whip it up with a fork.  Make sure to whip it well, if you do not have the yolk whipped well it can pop and make a nice, big mess of your microwave. (learned the hard way)
DSC09228  DSC09229
Now, plop  gently lay your meat choice right in the middle of the eggs.  Hubby’s favorite is the sausage patties from Wally World.  They come precooked and frozen.  No need to thaw just put right in the bowl with the eggs.
DSC09250
Put bowl into microwave and zap it for one minute.  Remove and add a slice of your favorite cheese (of course if making for hubby use his favorite). Now, zap it for about 10 seconds more.
DSC09259
Use a fork to lift the egg up and make sure the egg is completely cooked through, if not zap it another 10 seconds.
DSC09261
Microwaves do vary.  I know that in order to cook the egg, sausage and cheese mine will take exactly one minute and 20 seconds.
Then put onto your choice of bread.  It took me WAY longer to compose this post than it did to make two breakfast sandwiches.  I made a ham, egg and cheese biscuit for my daughter.
DSC09240
Of course, she had to say “Geeze, Mom, you can make me breakfast when you want to blog about it!”  See if I do it again Ms. Sassy Thang!
Here are a list of different things you can combine.  Feel free to add onions, green peppers, mushrooms or any other thing your little heart desires into your eggs to make it your own.  I literally can make one of these in LESS than three minutes.  I put hubby’s in tin foil to keep it warm and he heads out the door with it.  This saves him from stopping at some fast food joint and spending money on breakfast OR even worse skipping it all together.
Meat Choices
Bread Choices
Deli Ham Toast (any kind wheat, white etc)
Left over Ham Bagels
Sausage English Muffins
Smoked Sausage sliced Biscuits
Cooked Bacon Croissants
Leftover Hamburger Patty Pancakes
Canadian Bacon Waffles
Turkey Bacon (pre-cooked) French Toast (use leftovers)








Some things not to worry about:  when cooking your egg in the microwave it WILL swell up.  As soon as the microwave stops it’ll deflate.  Perfectly normal.
I have made these in a small fry pan on the stove top.  It does take a couple minutes longer but it is worth it.  It is a ton cheaper than going to a fast food place or buying pre-made breakfast sandwiches from the frozen food section.
If you have a great combo for your breakfast sandwich please share it with us.
Enjoy!  








No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Comment HERE

Almost 20/20-

To think that in less than three weeks the year 2020 will be here is surreal. To think that I am about to be grandma to 18 in February is ...