Friday, July 23, 2010

Higher Education….


So, today I decided to call the college and see where I stood.


A little background:  two years ago I started college for the first time.  At age 39.  (I took a wee lil break after high school)   A month after started I found out I was expecting…very unexpectedly.  (since we had been told we wouldn’t be having more children)  I had some complications and was put on bed rest.  Three of my four professors were awesome.  I did most of my work from the internet.  I had to go into my math class only for tests.  The fourth professor though… well, lets just say he really thought a lot of himself.  According to him “there would be no way you would pass my class with out attending my lectures.”  So, I had to drop that class.  Which meant I owed back the money to the school.  Which they wanted in two weeks. (ha ha ha). 

After two weeks they sent me to collections.  The collection people called and asked me for a payment.  I told them I had no problem what so ever paying them $30.00/month because at that time that was all I had to spare.  (actually, I really didn’t have that to spare).  No worry though.  The rude person on the other end refused my $30.00!!  They said they needed 67 and some change, no if's ands or buts.  I said “so, you are refusing my money?”  When they said “we can not accept less than 67”  I said “Ok, well thanks for calling” and hung up.

I let a few months go by of them calling and me not answering.  Finally I answered one day, prepared for the same rude Neanderthal on the other end but it was a very nice lady named Shan.  I explained to her that I had offered payment and they had refused to set it up for the lesser amount.  She had no problem setting up my monthly payment of $30.  So, for many months I have been paying down this debt but still had a hunk left.  I could not reenter college with out getting this paid off.

Skip to yesterday.  I paid it off.   I want to get in school next month.  Time is of the essence.  I asked Shan if the school would be notified immediately.  She said no, notices only go out at the end of the month but to call the school because sometimes they will take a printout from the website.

So, today I called the college.  Explained the situation.  The nice lady on the other end informed me she would make a call and verify it was paid in full and lift the hold on my registering.  Sigh of relief… then she said “but”… “you have to be pre paid for the next two semesters, how do you intend to pay?”  I informed her I already had my financial aid award letter from them and that would cover me both semesters and then some.  She then said something that made me wonder about these institutions of higher learning… “before I can lift your  hold you have to bring your award letter in here for me to see.”

Seriously?  I seriously have to drive 45 minutes to show you a letter YOUR school SENT to ME????  Ok, I had other things I needed to complete there any how so I started gathering paperwork.  A trip two weeks ago gave me a re-entry form and an affidavit of Florida residency, which the gentleman informed me I had to SHOW two of the listed items as proof of residency.  As we recently have moved finding those items with the new address had me in a tizzy today (wow…tizzy is a real word! spell check didn’t red line me…) back to the story at hand…I gathered all my paperwork and out the door I went at 4 p.m.  They close at 6. 

I got to the cash office to show them the letter they sent me.  The girl informed me. “Ok, you have to do this same thing next semester too.  Your hold is lifted until Monday in the system so you have all weekend to register for classes”.  Sigh of relief on my part…. THEN… I went across the hall to turn in my re-entry form and affidavit.

First the guy informed me I needed to fill out more info.  I don’t vote so I can’t give him what he wants there.  I then hand the form back with the proofs the said were required.  You know, the ones I went into a tizzy finding today.  He shoved them back at me and said “I don’t need that.”   Deep breath.   “I was told to bring these you needed them.” 

“No, I don’t”.   ( I’m sure they’ll call next week and ask me to drive those papers out there)

He staples the two papers together and says “Ok, these should be processed in a week for you to register”

Yikes.  Here we go again.  I explained I had the weekend to register until my hold went back on.  “Get in line and see an advisor”

So…. after a 20 minute wait I get to the advisor.  She informs me I indeed have to wait the week.  Then pulls up my records to inform me: “if you had come in four days ago you would not have to take your CPT again but since you did not you have to take the English part again.  Wow!  You scored excellent on it last time.”

So…. then I had to go to the testing center to get an appointment on August 3rd to retake my CPT.  Oh, and since it is more than two years old for financial purposes it is no longer considered a “retake” and I have to pay the regular $10 fee instead of the reduced $5 fee for “retakes”.  

No wonder people say college is hard!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Comment HERE

Gone Far Too Long

Why did I ever get away from my blog? Oh yeah... life. My "baby" will be 9 next week.  My husband has faced kidney failure and...