Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Quick Post. grandson in hospital

My almost 15 month old grandson Colby is in Pediatric ICU at Shands Hosptial. His mom took him to the doc Monday due to strange cough and breathing issues. The doc said since he had the flu three weeks ago it's just lagging. She told him NO you check his lungs again I am telling you he has pneumonia. He listened again and said yes he did it was mild. Gave him a breathing treatment, a prescription for treatments to do at home and an prescription for anitbiotics. last night (ok early this a.m.) my phone rang and she was in a panic about his breathing. I told her to give him the treatment and see if it helped it didn't. They rushed him to the ER. His pulse ox which is supposed to be 100 was 40!!! They had to do 4 treatments to get his airways open enough to get oxygen in, they admitted him and he had severe pnemonia not a MILD case as the doc had said. Sad to say the original doc never ordered an x ray. He is miserable. He has had about 4 hours of sleep in the last 48 so my daughter is the same way. My son turned 18 today and had his senior presentations also. These are graded as a final and can not be missed. SO... needless to say my day was a mess of running from one place to another. The college is 45 in from here where my daughter lives and he is in the hospital is just at an hour in another direction. We left at 8 a.m. and I am home at 10:30. My daughter wanted me with her the whole time with her as she is used to mom being there but mom can not be everywhere at once no matter which cape I choose to wear! I tears me up when this kind of thing happens. It is a bit easier that at night they only allow one person to stay so I couldn't have stayed the night anyways. Well, since my sleep last night was interrupted by MANY calls and my day was a blur of being here there and everywhere I am headed to bed. I will update tomorrow hopefully. Tonight grandson was doing a bit better, they are no longer having to give breathing treatments every hour and he is off IV fluids. He is still having a struggle to breathe and they wonder if he is starting to be asthmatic as his mother is.


  1. I am so sorry to hear that. I hope that he gets better soon. My son had terrible problems with asthma and ear infections when he was younger. Thankfully since he had tubes put in his ears and he has gotten older, the problems seem to have gone away. It is tough though when you want to be there for family and can't be. We moved to KY from AL last April. My mom is scheduled to have a complete hyterectomy in March and while I am going to go down for a week to help out my 16 year old sister, I want to be there the whole time mom is recuperating, but can't be.

  2. "Ring Around the Blogs"

    Oh my! That Dr, grrr! Just goes to show you that a mother's instincts are strong!!

    I hope everyone gets the well needed rest and that your son does well! Prayers for your grandson!

  3. Wow, so glad your daughter trusted her instincts and went to the ER. Hope he will continue to get better. T hanks for visiting my site as part of "Ring around the Blogs"--I tried to publish your comment, but something is not working quite right, but I did get it! :)

  4. I will be praying for all of you. I hope that Dr. has been told what the true diagnosis was. Hopefully he will learn from that terrible mistake.

    Stay strong!


Please Comment HERE


Make sure you never miss a deal, recipe or time saving tip. You can subscribe via email, google reader or even keep up via my Facebook Page. (search for Mid-Life Mama Blog) I love to hear from my readers!


Related Posts with Thumbnails


Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape